The Official PENTAGRAM-appreciation/discussion Thread

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
The Sentinel

The Official PENTAGRAM-appreciation/discussion Thread

Post by The Sentinel »

Is the "Napalm Records" press the very first edition of this great record or is there maybe a private press? just wondering...
Long Live The Loud !!!
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Napalm Rec. is the original pressing.
ARC

Post by ARC »

You can’t go wrong with PENTAGRAM
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

should we turn this into a pentgram discussion topic?
mordred

Post by mordred »

DaN wrote:Napalm Rec. is the original pressing.
And everybody who bought it at a record fair in Västerås 15 years ago for next to nothing are extremely gay! 8)
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

mordred wrote:
DaN wrote:Napalm Rec. is the original pressing.
And everybody who bought it at a record fair in Västerås 15 years ago for next to nothing are extremely gay! 8)
:twisted: Yeah, I've been a lucky bastard when it comes to finding the LPs of one of my favourite bands in the world. I'm still really fucking happy I bought "Be Forwarned" on DLP instead of CD when it came out, since it's the most difficult to find on vinyl these days, AND it's the 2nd best album they ever did, s/t being #1 and "Day Of Reckoning" a close 3rd.
FenderMedium wrote:should we turn this into a pentgram discussion topic?
Yeah, it's about bloody time isn't it? [Subject slightly moderated]

Reposting my Q from another thread:
I finally got hold of the missing piece in my PENTAGRAM LP collection: the "1972-1979 (Vol. 2)" bootleg. I know I've seen some different versions of this one - some w/ the photos on the front cover in color, some in black/white. Does anyone know which version was the first pressing?

I don't really need the all the different versions, but I prefere 1st pressings if possible. The one I got has a b/w cover, just a single sheet wrapped around a blank white sleeve.
..and I would very much like to know if there's an index out there of all the demos and sessions recorded by the band, esp from the 70's. Seems like some old PENTAGRAM fan sites are down at the moment.
Noisenik

Post by Noisenik »

My favourite is Day Of Reckoning. Funny, I've never developed appreciation of the first one. I think I can confirm this is due to the fact that I got DoR first and I gave it a lot of proper listens, when I didn't have much Doom in collection. When I got Relentless, I already heard a lot more of it and wasn't that interested anymore ... Oh, and Be Forwarned is great too - came 2nd to me.
I am ... the One you warned me of
mordred

Post by mordred »

The question is: Did Bobby Liebling actually write anything new after ca 1990, or did he just re-record old 70's chestnuts to fill the Pentagram studio albums to come? :D

I have one of those albums, Review Your Choices. It's made out of entirely rerecorded songs from the 70's Pentagram era + some new ones, all written by Joe Hasselvander.
Chroming Rose “Pressure” LP found! :D
FenderMedium

Post by FenderMedium »

http://www.pentafans.com/

I don't see any info on the bootlegs though.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Love this band, still haven't checked out Bedemon, damn
Long Live The Loud !!!
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Bedemon kicks butt.

And yes, Bobby did write some new material on the later Pentagram albums. Not much of it compares to the old gems though.
tomas

Post by tomas »

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the original Pentagram s/t and the Peaceville reissue? I've heard there's a big difference in sound. Does anyone have a rip?
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I've heard so to, bun never really heard that much of a difference. I used to have that 2CD w/ "Relentless" + "Day of Reckoning" but I've sort of misplaced it and never got around to make a proper comparison.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

When I talked to Geoff O'keefe a year or so ago, he said back in Bobby's prolific song writing phase (early 70'), he wrote a little less than 100 songs. I think it would not be hard to figure out what they were.
mordred wrote:The question is: Did Bobby Liebling actually write anything new after ca 1990, or did he just re-record old 70's chestnuts to fill the Pentagram studio albums to come? :D

I have one of those albums, Review Your Choices. It's made out of entirely rerecorded songs from the 70's Pentagram era + some new ones, all written by Joe Hasselvander.
Khnud

Post by Khnud »

Rumour has it Bobby's recording a new album, called "Last Rites of the Setting Sun". Not much is revealed, but it seems that it will feature some heavy collaboration with other doom celebrities. I'm keeping both fingers crossed.