Vinyl price survey

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.

Would you pledge $50 for limited vinyl + a test pressing as bonus

Yes, I will
50%
No, I wont
50%

Total votes: 28

Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Check out the CD, we used the original Abbey Road DAT master for it - it is what it is, a compilation of demos, and no extra polishing will change that fact. It also is more than 45 minutes long and once pressed on vinyl will take a bit more compression. So what you hear on the original vinyl is pretty much what a new wax pressing would sound... unless we use the 2010 re-recorded versions, but then of course no one will buy it :).

By the way the band has unearthed several LP copies, unfortunately water damaged from what I'm told. Andy was going to post some on eBay in hope to fund the next album and buy some gear, but I guess it is not on his agenda at the moment. Or maybe they turned to be too damaged...
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

stormspell wrote: Yes, it probably will sell much more lucrative than everything else we have on our roster, but it will be a total "fashion statement" product not worth much but a "collection display" item... somehow I don't want my first attempt at vinyl to be such item. I hope my point will get across and you will understand what I mean.
I can't speak for others of course, but there are several albums that i'd love to get on wax in your roster. ANCIENT CROSS, NITEFALL, MORBID SIN, KINGSBANE, IMPACT, SENTINAL BEAST, MILITIA...

You should make another survey after this one. :D
Where were you in '79 when the dam began to burst

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/ptrz80
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

I've chosen AMULANCE as my first vinyl based on several factors:

1. We have 4 previously unreleased bonuses to add to the EP, which makes it a nice 44 minutes LP album

2. The band is awesome, easily the best and easiest to work with guys, which are genuinely interested in making a good release and always ready and willing to provide the best liner notes and everything I've asked them for

3. The CD version of the EP sold out in no time and there is still demand for it.

Here's the situation with the one's you are interested in:

ANCIENT CROSS, NITEFALL - atrocious cd sales. I still have more than half the stock of both releases on hands. I love both albums, but until I move the cd stock there is no way to engage in vinyl on those...

MORBID SIN - the sound quality of both "masters" will not warrant good wax result: SOTF master had the high end fried badly, The Demos were lifted off from old crusty cassette tapes... Both artworks are no big enough to be used on LP, nor are any of the archive pictures we've got.

IMPACT - similar to SLANDER, the album is a collection of lo-fi demos. I'm sure it will sell great on wax regardless, just like SLANDER. So it is on the "consideration" list. I just didn't want to start my vinyl adventure with such release.

SENTINEL BEAST, MILITIA - again collections of demos. Both are on the list for consideration, given first vinyl is success and I can recoup funds to carry on.
You should make another survey after this one. :D
I will, but only once/if AMULANCE wax sells good enough and I can recoup enough funds to keep going.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

Thanks for info! I'm actually glad that you don't just try to jump on the booming vinyl trend, but rather have a sincere approach regarding sound and visual quality.

nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I wonder why Nitefall has sold so poorly? I think it's a really good release and one of my faves that you've done
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

I can't leave a comment since I never heard the cd, it sold too fast to own so I don't even know if I'll like their new stuff.
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

nightsblood wrote:I wonder why Nitefall has sold so poorly? I think it's a really good release and one of my faves that you've done
I agree with this. One of my fave Stormspell release too.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Sgt. Kuntz wrote:Thanks for info! I'm actually glad that you don't just try to jump on the booming vinyl trend, but rather have a sincere approach regarding sound and visual quality.
Oh, I'd have been all over it, if only I had enough cash, storage space, and time to afford it :D
omen of hate

Post by omen of hate »

stormspell wrote:I've chosen AMULANCE
I'd like to see a double-lp of "The Rage Within & The Aftermath" ! :P
Keir

Post by Keir »

stormspell wrote:
Keir wrote:I answered no before I even saw what the album was. Deluxe editions just aren't my thing.
So you deprive yourself from buying BBTAD releases just because they are deluxe and not el-cheapo vinyl in thin cereal-box recycled Jackets, interesting...
I have bought a few, such as Street Child and Max Planck, but they were only $20. And the Witchfinder General releases I bought on CD.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

Yes of course, our pricing will be in par with most vinyl releases on the market. We'll retail ours at 12,5 EUR (US $18.00), no surcharge for the color option. I think that price for a limited release of 333 copies with booklet and poster is more than fair.

We only ask for $50 (35 EUR) on the LP + Test pressing combo because it is UDP's requirement to qualify for their kickstart special. But if you consider that this price also include free shipping worldwide, it is still pretty fair.
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

How much testpressings were done? Usually, I mean in days when I was active in a band we had 5-10 testpressing copies only to listen if the sound's correct. What's a normal pressing quantity nowadays????

Testpressings in general are a nice addition to each collection. There are records that only exist as a testpressing, or having different labels (I've a Lanzer Testpressing of "Use it...." where the label says Wizard Records!!), different sound etc...
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

We'd had done as many test pressings as pre-ordered. We still may do that when we get to it. As of right now the vinyl project is postponed as we have way too many cd projects on hand and not enough cash to see through them all...
LethylSteel

Post by LethylSteel »

But the charm of a testpressing is mostly the fact that just a handful do exist. If you manufacture hundreds of them then the charm is lost and I'd rather order the real record and ignore "the blank one". I buy underground testpressings because I know there are just 10 copies made.
Sgt. Kuntz

Post by Sgt. Kuntz »

LethylSteel wrote:But the charm of a testpressing is mostly the fact that just a handful do exist. If you manufacture hundreds of them then the charm is lost and I'd rather order the real record and ignore "the blank one". I buy underground testpressings because I know there are just 10 copies made.
Yes, 10 copies really should be the maximum.