New Release ?

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Glockose

New Release ?

Post by Glockose »

I am THINKING about putting out a new release. VINYL

How crazy is this these days?

Anyone with a leble please let me know how things are moving these days?

I am trying to talk my self out of this any help would be great.
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

I can only support your endeavors John, what is it exactly you're planning on releasing? And did you get the long e-mail I sent about two months ago? I never got a response...
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
decibelrebel

Post by decibelrebel »

Recent experiences are thats its all too easy, if you've got the cash sitting idle, master tapes and layout files already set-up then you can turn it around in about 3 weeks from quote to delivery.

One thing I've noticed is most of the blokes that have only experienced heavy metal since the internet have the attention span and memory of a goldfish so to sell out you have to generate as much hype as possible, create a (fake) sense of urgency ('almost sold out on presale' 'hurry only limited copies remain...' blablablah) whether what you spruik is true or not doesn't matter, fact is once the initial hype dies down (ie: threads get buried in forums.) whatever doesn't move in the initial rush will sit around for a loooong time, which is quite likely until its matured a few years and is of an age where it can be sold w/rare, oop, mint,original,still sealed status.

Few people want to buy wholesale in comparison to those that look to trade so don't expect to get your money back until that stuff is sold off and with so much throwaway crap these days be selective with trades or you'll be grinding away at it for aeons.

If you can't handle being bombarded with endless idiotic questions all for a single unit sale then protect your contact details, offload as much to labels/distros and advertise distributors moreso than the label.

I would say if you back the music and think the world needs to hear it then the decision has been made for you already.

disclaimer: consideration of this information in whole or in part enters the reader into a binding contract wherin if they choose to proceed and release discussed record a service fee of one copy should be sent to the author of this post.
Black Axe

Re: New Release ?

Post by Black Axe »

glockose wrote:I am trying to talk my self out of this any help would be great.
And you came here? :lol:

You're more likely to be forced to release it. And you should.
Helm

Post by Helm »

which is quite likely until its matured a few years and is of an age where it can be sold w/rare, oop, mint,original,still sealed status.
Kinda depressing, heh.
great_knuthulhu

Post by great_knuthulhu »

decibelrebel wrote:...
One thing I've noticed is most of the blokes that have only experienced heavy metal since the internet have the attention span and memory of a goldfish so to sell out you have to generate as much hype as possible, create a (fake) sense of urgency ('almost sold out on presale' 'hurry only limited copies remain...' blablablah) whether what you spruik is true or not doesn't matter, fact is once the initial hype dies down (ie: threads get buried in forums.) whatever doesn't move in the initial rush will sit around for a loooong time, which is quite likely until its matured a few years and is of an age where it can be sold w/rare, oop, mint,original,still sealed status...
I'm as guilty of this as anybody, and I'm certainly not of any "Internet generation" or a newcomer being closer to 40 than I care to. Unfortunately, the record will have to be hyped and hyped even more to have any chance of selling out. If you can't hype it around, it will sell, but not sell out. That's the way of the world these days.

On a side note; I even heard there are quite a few left of the Tellurian single that was put out on Zerlinda a couple of years back.
I know I ain't doing much,
doing nothing means a lot to me.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

decibelrebel - Glad to see nothing has changed over the years. My problem is I never hype anything and I never had pre-orders and I never traded any of our releases.

Black Axe - Good point I shouldn't have asked this crowd

I guess I was looking for input from Doomed Planet, Fils Du Metal, Shadow Kingdom, Stormspell..............
Fils Du Metal

Post by Fils Du Metal »

Release me..... that's the best you could do in moment....
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Fils Du Metal wrote:Release me..... that's the best you could do in moment....

HAHAHAHA
Why?
jman

Post by jman »

Good thread.
I would say it is easy to do, tough to sell without doing all the stupid internet promotion/hype stuff. Print ads are a total waste. Solid packaging is a MUST. In this day, the trend is gearing towards very small presses w/ltd packaging, or larger runs w/a "die hard" edition (like NWN, one of the best labels out there).

I have almost sold out of my bands 1000 press 7" from earlier this year w/almost no internet hype or work (it's not metal though).

On a side note: I am thinking about doing some pro-printed tape releases, reissues of some bands that already have vinyl reissues of their classic stuffs. I would probably press 200 copies of each (since the vinyl is easily available) and print them on those old style off-white tapes.

Would anyone here buy something like that? Obviously this is a nostalgic idea, so if people here say they wouldn't buy it I won't proceed any further.
roihlem

Post by roihlem »

I think if it is a vinyl only release it sells good. But if there will be also a CD edition, I suppose you will have a hard time selling those, as long as this band is not hyped or the release radically limited. I remember the big bands new vinyl editions are sold by their label for as good as nothing a year after its release...
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

glockose wrote:I guess I was looking for input from Doomed Planet, Fils Du Metal, Shadow Kingdom, Stormspell..............
I cannot really say anything coz I never got my hands on releasing vinyl yet.

I've been tempted and thought about it and if I ever do it, it would be something like this:

Once I have all materials prepared and ready to go to the pressing plant I'll offer it for preorders both to the public and to dealers/wholesalers. If I get enough interest in it (to say 200 copies preordered) I'll go ahead and make 500.
Once sent to manufacturing, people/dealers who had made preorders will be given a choice to pay in advance with some discount, or to get extra freebies like patches or something, or to pay later at full retail/wholesale price.

Absolutely NO trades! Trading CDs is bad enough, trading vinyl would be a disaster!

That's how I see it.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

roihlem wrote:I think if it is a vinyl only release it sells good. But if there will be also a CD edition, I suppose you will have a hard time selling those, as long as this band is not hyped or the release radically limited. I remember the big bands new vinyl editions are sold by their label for as good as nothing a year after its release...
I think it is the other way around. I know almost every vinyl collector will wait to pick on the LP version, and very very few of the CD collectors will buy the vinyl if there is no CD release (the majority of the CD guys dont even own a turntable)
MassOfKthulu

Post by MassOfKthulu »

theres too much literature and shakespeare monologues thrown around here for no reason.The million dollar question is:whats the band ur thinking of rereleasing?
I am so true my mp3 player's screen has slight ringwear
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

I don't think much has changed since you released STORMQUEEN LP which was one of the best NWOBHM releases of recent years.

I did 1,000 ENERGY VAMPIRES LPs (They're selling slowly, to the die hard 80's metal fans). Never had a complaint about the DLP.

I'm doing 1,000 of DRAGONSLAYER Double LPs.

It might take me 5-10 years to sell 1,000 of these, but I don't care for 2 reasons. 1. I hate being out of stock on items and 2. I'm in this for the long haul. I find it very hard to sell vinyl even though everyone begs for it on forums.

Nuclear War Now puts out the most vinyl, most of his pressings are 1,000 and has no trouble (as far as I can tell) selling them. He has over 100 vinyl releases, so he's the best guy to ask I think.