The OLD days of collecting early 90's

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
steelegacy

Post by steelegacy »

i still have John haupt"s first lists,they were coloured ,some pink some green some yellow, e.t.c...yes,the prices were very cheap back then,i had some trades with John and thanks to those trades i have now some rare records such as Thatcher ,Rellik and more...i still regret for some i didnt buy back then in such prices..although they were considered to be expensive in those days and i was very hesitated to buy some in those prices ...i wish i knew the way to upload those lists here to see by yourselves!!!
i also have those John Allinson lists from 1994 which were a kind of small booklets having a rare vinyl cover on the front.i was lucky enough to bu some good stuff from him,he was a great guy to deal with,i had spoken lots of times on the phone arguing about Manowar as he was calling them "Fairies wear boots" if i remember well.the prices on US metal records were very cheap.:Wyzard -knights of metal for $15
...same for X-caliber-Warriors.. for $15 too but he was a bit expensive on NWOBHM stuff as it was his interest...and that goes for another guy from UK,who had a kind i=of relation with John Allinson ,i am talking about Mr. Robson..i dont remember his first name ,who had very spicy prices on NWOBHM!!!!and i mean VERY expensive such as DRUID 7" for 150 english pounds but he had Black Knight for 10 Pounds which i bought it of course in a mint condition!!!His lists were very unusual though and i still hold some of them,not many because they were like fax papers with no end...talking about tons of papers.
msp

Post by msp »

I find threads such as these fascinating.

As an aside, I wish magazines such as Record Collector would feature articles about things like this (digging trips) rather than another article about Led Zeppelin rarities. Maybe something has been published but I have never seen it.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

msp wrote:As an aside, I wish magazines such as Record Collector would feature articles about things like this (digging trips) rather than another article about Led Zeppelin rarities. Maybe something has been published but I have never seen it.
Yeah, I've always wondered if they've ever done any specials on rare 80's HM - nwobhm, US privates, whatever... If so it would be cool to know what issue to look out for.
msp

Post by msp »

DaN wrote:
msp wrote:As an aside, I wish magazines such as Record Collector would feature articles about things like this (digging trips) rather than another article about Led Zeppelin rarities. Maybe something has been published but I have never seen it.
Yeah, I've always wondered if they've ever done any specials on rare 80's HM - nwobhm, US privates, whatever... If so it would be cool to know what issue to look out for.
I looked on the Record Collector back issue database a while back but it appears they don't seem to have ever covered this area. I think they have done a few bits on NWOBHM previously, but I have no idea how "obscure" they got.

Part of the problem may be a lack of staff writers or contributors with an interest in the area of metal or they suffer from the "metal is for morons" mentality of other magazines??
deathster

Post by deathster »

I remember in 1995 I wrote "angry" letter to Hellion rec. (Germany) and complained that their Samael "Medieval Prophecy" EP was so expensive (70DEM). They replied that they sold it fast and got even more requests for it. I could not believe it back then :)
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

deathster wrote:I remember in 1995 I wrote "angry" letter to Hellion rec. (Germany) and complained that their Samael "Medieval Prophecy" EP was so expensive (70DEM). They replied that they sold it fast and got even more requests for it. I could not believe it back then :)
Reminds me of an on-topic incident from around '89-90: This Swedish, soon-to-call-it-quits mailorder gave away free copies of "Medieval Prophecy" with each purchace above 30 euros* - "why not?" thinks DaN... 2 years later I gave away the sticker insert for free together w/ 2 MAYHEM demos I sold for 5 euros* each coz I figured I didn't give they guy a fair deal. Sold the single for about 30 euros* to a friend the same year and though I made the sale of my life.

*="kronor" translated into euros.
steelegacy

Post by steelegacy »

yes,Record Collector had a twopage tribute on nwobhm in the early 90"s ,
GJ

Post by GJ »

NWOBHM in Record Collector:

issue 114, feb 1989
Four pages, nothing obscure (White Spirit - Backs to the Grind valued to 2 £, Samson - Mr Rock'n'Roll and Telephone 3 £)

issue 203, july 1996
Eight pages by Matthias Mader (who'd just released his first book on the subject I guess) Part one of two. Nothing obscure. The Samson singles rising in value - now 30 £ each...

issue 204, aug 1996
Part two, five pages - deeper into the vaults: Witchfynde, Legend, Holocaust, Trespass, Jaguar... you get the picture.