Vinyl Junkies

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Levi

Post by Levi »

If I find the time, I really like record hunting. Flea markets, obscure second hand shops, fairs, etc. But times have definitely changed, since I never really scored anything awesome. Some records in the 10-30 euro range, which makes it still worthwile. I do get depressed when I've gone through thousands of shit records to end up with absolutely nothing. Luckily that doesn't happen very often, most of the time there's a common album to be found that I didn't have yet.
It is way more pleasing than buying a record from a dealer and paying the market price :)
snaps666

Post by snaps666 »

Whenever I get the oportunity!

In the summer time, I spend almost every weekend going to private garage sails and flee markets. And always looking for those 2nd hand shops with all kinds of crap, usualy they also have a few boxes of old vinyls.
I agree it's getting harder to find good stuff in the real 2nd hand music shops. as they tend to check prices on the web, but I still find lots of great and rare records other places, where people have no clue about value.
JonahQuizz

Post by JonahQuizz »

The record fair here in Stockholm is like christmas eve. It doesn't matter if I find anything good, it's always exciting when going through the boxes
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

I think its a major problem these people checking prices online, ebay and other places do not dictate the true value as many have said here before, I dunno if it was someone here or not but I remember some Australian guy saying he went to this shop and they had no prices on any of the used stuff so when someone brought up an item to the cash register they said hold on a second and looked it up online before giving a price.
glockose wrote:last vestige music shop = Good people

I have known Jim for 15+ years

Need to hit his store if you can, Great stuff in the Basement
I will probably never make it to new york.
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Abyss wrote:I dunno if it was someone here or not but I remember some Australian guy saying he went to this shop and they had no prices on any of the used stuff so when someone brought up an item to the cash register they said hold on a second and looked it up online before giving a price.
Yep, that was here!
Rare Records in Melbourne ...scumbag!
Why are a wise man & a wise guy opposites?
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

glockose wrote:Martin helped Goldmine put out that piece of crap guide
Stores think they know best.
Thanx to that guide I got 'Forgotten Child' MINT in shrink for $40AU at a store here in Melbourne that uses it to price everything!!!!!!!!!
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

Levi wrote:I do get depressed when I've gone through thousands of shit records to end up with absolutely nothing.
I think it works best when you go looking and try not to expect to find much, this is when finding something reasonable turns out to be a nice surprise!
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

By the way Korgüll do you have one of those record shop lists for all the yearly record fairs here?
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Korgüll

Post by Korgüll »

No, but if you go to the newsagent get the magazine/paper called 'Collectormania' published once a month & it will give you upcoming dates. There was a record fair 3 weeks ago in Essendon!
But it's always the same people selling the same stuff...
Nightlock

Post by Nightlock »

Yeah I wouldn't have been able to get there/around in my present semi-crippled condition anyway. So you rarely get anything decent?
"On your knees
Into the night that you'll never remember"
Levi

Post by Levi »

Korgüll wrote:
Levi wrote:I do get depressed when I've gone through thousands of shit records to end up with absolutely nothing.
I think it works best when you go looking and try not to expect to find much, this is when finding something reasonable turns out to be a nice surprise!
Yeah but knowing I will find nothing doesn't get me out of bed early :D
daniel

Post by daniel »

Yes I love digging through boxes etc. Unfortunately you could say that 'scene' is pretty much dead where I live now, and I don't have a car, so it's really hard for me to go out of town... I'm very envious when I read John's and other people's stories, I wish I had the opportunity to do things like that, I wouldn't hesitate one second, it's an obsession.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
anthares

Post by anthares »

Of course! Always when going to abroad of different cities I only think how is the vinyl stores around. Obsession it is! Hands shaking and cold sweat when approaching the store. Sometimes almost get in fight with other friends in order to get in first.
daniel

Post by daniel »

Yes haha, not so good going places with people who want the same records as you ;)
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

First thing I do after arriving in a city is looking for record shops. The thrill to find something unique in some forgotten record tomb always keeps me going. I also like the big record fairs like the ones in Utrecht (Holland) where I've found some INCREDIBLE stuff over the years for very good prices.
Long Live The Loud !!!