Vinyl Junkies

All vinyl-specific issues goes in this here subforum.
Glockose

Vinyl Junkies

Post by Glockose »

How many of you are REALLY vinyl junkies?

I mean go out and really dig for record, get dirty, crawl on the floor under dusty tables, for the possibility of finding something good?

And I don't mean just the dealers, As I know they do this. But as some of you know I don't need the cash from being a dealer. I am just addicted to looking for records. More like the thrill of the hunt.

I have my yearly diggin trip coming up next month (once a year I get in the car and drive for 5-7-10 days and do nothing but look for records) Just love it...

Anyone else do this?
The Erlking

Post by The Erlking »

Would be if there were more shops selling heavy metal vinyl here. And usually when I do search like hell I just get dissapointed not finding anything I went looking for :cry: Finnish hunting grounds sucks.
"The very Hemoglobin of a persons blood is based on IRON! The same Iron in the earth that you turn into STEEL, that is in everyone." -Michael Coffey, Stone Vengeance
ION BRITTON

Re: Vinyl Junkies

Post by ION BRITTON »

glockose wrote: I mean go out and really dig for record, get dirty, crawl on the floor under dusty tables, for the possibility of finding something good?
I do this for old video tapes. And i always find good trash among some really nasty stuff. Last year i remember me searching for a couple of hours the loft of a video club while the temperature outside was about 40 C. I went out dripping wet with 6 bags full of video tapes in my hands.

I don't know, i suppose if i have done it for VHS, i could easily do it for vinyls/CDs too. I just haven't found the right place for this kind of activities here in Greece, if you know what i mean.
Last edited by ION BRITTON on Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
BlackStele

Re: Vinyl Junkies

Post by BlackStele »

glockose wrote:How many of you are REALLY vinyl junkies?

I mean go out and really dig for record, get dirty, crawl on the floor under dusty tables, for the possibility of finding something good?

And I don't mean just the dealers, As I know they do this. But as some of you know I don't need the cash from being a dealer. I am just addicted to looking for records. More like the thrill of the hunt.

I have my yearly diggin trip coming up next month (once a year I get in the car and drive for 5-7-10 days and do nothing but look for records) Just love it...

Anyone else do this?
I do, I love diggin out for olde vins, this is a lovely thread ! :D
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
peterott

Post by peterott »

Same here. Searching for vinyls on 2nd hand fairs, flea markets and dark and glooym 2nd hand shops is a pleasure. However, the amount of big "finds" has decreased tremendously. In Germany a lot of 2nd shops are selling rare-looking stuff immediately on ebay.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

peterott wrote:Same here. Searching for vinyls on 2nd hand fairs, flea markets and dark and glooym 2nd hand shops is a pleasure. However, the amount of big "finds" has decreased tremendously. In Germany a lot of 2nd shops are selling rare-looking stuff immediately on ebay.
7 years ago I spent 10 days in Berlin.
Found more vinyl then I could buy.
It was great!!!!!
nightsblood

Post by nightsblood »

I used to alot growing up. My dad collects vinyl so every family vacation we took included scouring every used record store we could find in the place we were visiting. Once i started collecting I'd dig through any place i could find; i pulled hundreds of albums out of stores in Texas and Ohio. In recent years I've backed off that approach. Good stores seem fewer and farther between, and the same goes for record shows/fairs; I just never come across interesting finds in those venues any more, and the few items i do find are pricey or are albums I'm just not interested in. Some of the decline is due to changes in personal preferences; I'm busier, have less time, space, and money to spare, and I've heard a lot more stuff than I had 10-15 years ago, so stuff that was exciting to find back then is pretty blase now. There's still tons of things i haven't heard of course, but I'm just not gonna find the stuff I'm looking for laying around in indie stores or at record shows in this area.
"I'm sorry Sam, we had real chemistry. But like a monkey on the sun, our love was too hot to live"
-Becky
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

Were are you these days?
I think I will be passing by and hitting a warehouse not too far away.
I'll be hitting spots in SC, NC, PA, NJ, WV, TN
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

what one needs is a record store owned by someone who doesn't understand their metal stock and sells that kind of material cheap. I've been on dirty floors looking through thousands of Diana Ross and Now! albums - the 50 cent piles are the best, you never know what you can find but I agree, getting harder to find now, people are wising up!
BlackStele

Post by BlackStele »

Piotr Sargnagel wrote:what one needs is a record store owned by someone who doesn't understand their metal stock and sells that kind of material cheap.
Hahhaha, that's dreamy! :lol:

P.S: But I know people who found REEEEALLY good stuff from this dreamy "coincidence" :!:
Black signs on my monitor, great bitching and fake words, Avenger is here, the craziest "modest" of all modsss...FTOU!!
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

we only have some thrift stores and flea markets around here to look for stuff, I still never found any metal mixed in for the most part, the most metal stuff I found is probably dio and accept and I got those dirt cheap for like 10 cents, I usually only pay 10 cents to a dollar for used records at these places.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

In the old days Metal wasn't in any price guide.
Most stores thought (if it is not in the guide it must be crap) = Cheap

Now that Martin helped Goldmine put out that piece of crap guide
Stores think they know best.

The thing is when I am out hunting, I am looking for the complete unknown

Hard for a store to come up with a price on something no one knows.
So most of my BIG finds are still in the $1-2-3 range.
But you have to dig and you have to get dirty to find them.

Most yearly trips I see close to 1M records and come home with 100
Lots of hard work and lots of driven but to me it's worth it.
Piotr Sargnagel

Post by Piotr Sargnagel »

BlackStele wrote:
Piotr Sargnagel wrote:what one needs is a record store owned by someone who doesn't understand their metal stock and sells that kind of material cheap.
Hahhaha, that's dreamy! :lol:

P.S: But I know people who found REEEEALLY good stuff from this dreamy "coincidence" :!:
Back when I was little there was a guy called Brian with a really big boil on his neck, owned a warehouse FULL of everything you could think of. He did house clearances - people would die and he'd buy the contents of the houses and he had thousands of records - mostly shit but some gems. Now like I said, I was very young, not a lot of money, no record player but sometimes I see a cover now and I remember seeing that in Brian's warehouse - he sold LPs for the equivalent of 3 euro. He's dead and gone now, in place of his warehouse (stinking dirty place, clothes everywhere, bicycles, books, snakeskins, sinks, guns...) is an apartment block... The only problem, his records were often in terrible condition like people had been playing football on gravel with them!
Abyss

Post by Abyss »

glockose wrote:In the old days Metal wasn't in any price guide.
Most stores thought (if it is not in the guide it must be crap) = Cheap

Now that Martin helped Goldmine put out that piece of crap guide
Stores think they know best.

The thing is when I am out hunting, I am looking for the complete unknown

Hard for a store to come up with a price on something no one knows.
So most of my BIG finds are still in the $1-2-3 range.
But you have to dig and you have to get dirty to find them.

Most yearly trips I see close to 1M records and come home with 100
Lots of hard work and lots of driven but to me it's worth it.
Yeah there are plenty of albums that should only be in that range on ebay selling for 10 to 20 dollars, I was thinking about ordering some stuff from this last vestige music shop in new york they seem to have some fairly good records for 5 dollars each, but I am a cheap bastard on shipping and during this heat media mail might not be the best option.
Glockose

Post by Glockose »

last vestige music shop = Good people

I have known Jim for 15+ years

Need to hit his store if you can, Great stuff in the Basement