Yugoslavian 70's-early 80's Hard Rock

Recommendations, discussions, questions & debates regarding the godly Metal of olde...
bigfootkit

Yugoslavian 70's-early 80's Hard Rock

Post by bigfootkit »

Split from the FWOEHM-thread (I'm on vacation in California so I wont be able to partake as actively as I'd like until after the 23rd../aDmiNistructor

Hi DaN, the new FWOEHM encycopedia looks very interesting indeed, i'm hoping to give it a proper going over at the weekend.
Many thanks for all the hard work, it's great to have you back here.
Here's a very early example that isn't covered in the encyclopedia, you may have heard it already & decided it was just too much on the Heavy Rock side of things for inclusion, but i love those killer Maidenesque guitars on 'Duh'.

NIRVANA - Duh / Kome Da Kažem - 1975 (Yugoslavia)

[youtube]q77JW2xv2eE[/youtube]

[youtube]qOMs1LmAMU0[/youtube]

The B-Side is even harder to pigeonhole, but is less Metallic in nature.
Well worth a listen.
Last edited by bigfootkit on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
I cannot, I shall not, I will not obey.
Avenger wrote : I'm not a copyright office nor a judicial entity.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Cheers for the tip! I thought I was rather thorough when digging in the ExYugo 70's but that one passed me by. I agree with "Duh" being a great tune and this one goes on my want list, but at the moment it's probably too much 'hard prog' to qualify for the page. I've discovered lots of great '75-'80 hard rock 7"s from there that definitely needs to be brought up here in some form. I'll start a thread about it soon...
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote:Cheers for the tip! I thought I was rather thorough when digging in the ExYugo 70's but that one passed me by. I agree with "Duh" being a great tune and this one goes on my want list, but at the moment it's probably too much 'hard prog' to qualify for the page. I've discovered lots of great '75-'80 hard rock 7"s from there that definitely needs to be brought up here in some form. I'll start a thread about it soon...
Glad you enjoyed Nirvana's 'Duh' DaN, it's not very often that i get the chance to introduce you to something!
Are there any forum users from the former Yugoslavia who might be able to impart the gist of the lyrical themes of 'Duh'?
The 70's Eastern Hard Rock 7"s thread sounds like a really interesting idea.
Over the last few years i've been digging deeper into global HR/HM/Proto 45s from the 70s, and many of the most interesting & surprisingly heavy records i've come across have been from Eastern European countries.
The likes of Grupa SOS, Yu Grupa & Time all made some fine records during that era, and i look forward to getting schooled some more in that era/area.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

hi DaN!

kit, did you discover NURT yet from Poland? I can stand to be schooled on any 7" from that era and region too.
bigfootkit wrote: The 70's Eastern Hard Rock 7"s thread sounds like a really interesting idea.
Over the last few years i've been digging deeper into global HR/HM/Proto 45s from the 70s, and many of the most interesting & surprisingly heavy records i've come across have been from Eastern European countries.
The likes of Grupa SOS (check out their Tražim/Magnovenje 7"!), Yu Grupa & Time all made some fine records during that era, and i look forward to getting schooled some more in that era/area.
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote:kit, did you discover NURT yet from Poland?
I have now! Many thanks for the tip.
I d/led the 1972 album after reading your recommendation here and i'm half way through my first listen just now.
So far i've been reminded of Wild Turkey, Incredible Hog & The Groundhogs at various points, but they're way more avant garde than any of those bands.
The arrangements are pretty schizophrenic on first listen, but when they get into a groove they really swing! Tight.
It already sounds like i'm gonna enjoy it a lot.
Many thanks again for the steer in their direction.
:wink:
Here is that Grupa SOS 45 i mentioned earlier for anyone who hasn't heard it:

GRUPA SOS - Tražim/Magnovenje 7" (1974) Yugoslavia

[youtube]8tQ9jlaz0c4[/youtube]

[youtube]mQTYd7awvD4[/youtube]
Last edited by bigfootkit on Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
doomedplanet

Post by doomedplanet »

there is a nice vinyl version of radio recordings that came out last year, that is what I have:
http://www.discogs.com/Nurt-Nurt/release/4359670

I'm trying to find this release but have had no luck:
Grupa Stress ‎– Nagrania Radiowe Z Lat 1972 – 1979 2cd Polskie Radio ‎2008

[quote="bigfootkit"]
I d/led the 1972 album after reading your recommendation here and i'm half way through my first listen just now.
So far i've been reminded of Wild Turkey, Incredible Hog & The Groundhogs at various points, but they're way more avant garde than any of those bands.
The arrangements are pretty schizophrenic on first listen, but when they get into a groove they really swing! Tight.
It already sounds like i'm gonna enjoy it a lot.
Many thanks again for the steer in their direction.
:wink:
Warepire

Post by Warepire »

Grupa Sos is amazing. Thanks for pointing them out!
Correct link for the B-side is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhuFjfdUJJw
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

doomedplanet wrote:there is a nice vinyl version of radio recordings that came out last year, that is what I have:
http://www.discogs.com/Nurt-Nurt/release/4359670

I'm trying to find this release but have had no luck:
Grupa Stress ‎– Nagrania Radiowe Z Lat 1972 – 1979 2cd Polskie Radio ‎2008
I had a good look around for that Grupa Stress comp online, but only turned up a few dead rapidshare links unfortunately. Did manage to stream one song from it and it sounded pretty good to me. Musically it reminded me of early Budgie somewhat, but more jazz/blues influenced.
I'll be keeping an eye out for it, thanks for another great tip.
The Nurt album is really interesting, i've given it a few listens now and i think i'm beginning to get more of a handle on it.
I'll be looking for those radio sessions eventually, but there's so much going on in the LP i think it'll take quite a while before i'm au fait with it.
Warepire, glad you enjoyed Grupa SOS. Thanks for pointing out that i'd messed up the link, i'll amend my original post.
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

I was also very impressed w/ those SOS singles - bloody awesome & heavy as poo! Another wantlist addition fo' sho'...

I MUST post a few clips of my new fave Yugo-band since last year, the Mighty VATRENI POLJUBAC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RgxwfwZVSU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4F_anScUuU
From their essential 2nd 2LP from '79

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4SxSbD2Sec
From their '78 debut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPJW2ShmwaA
Title track from their 3rd and last of their must/have albums

More cool yugo-tips after my vacation :)
bigfootkit

Post by bigfootkit »

DaN wrote:I was also very impressed w/ those SOS singles - bloody awesome & heavy as poo! Another wantlist addition fo' sho'... :)
Beware their final release, an EP recorded with 'Zajedno', it bears no comparison to their prior output. In fact it sounds like some ghastly mid-70s Eurovision entry. (Perhaps it was?)
Apparently there was an comp of their stuff released entitled 'Anthology '73-'76' which may be easier/cheaper to find than those individual 45s.
Vatreni Poljubac sound very worthy of investigation indeed going by the links you provided, really pretty heavy for their time of release.
Thanks for the tip DaN.
Wonder why Yugoslavia in partiular seems like it was such a hotbed of interesting heavy music at that time? Or is there loads of good stuff i've yet to discover from neighbouring countries like Bulgaria, Romania & Hungary?
bigfootkit

Re: Yugoslavian 70's-early 80's Hard Rock

Post by bigfootkit »

Thanks again to Warepire for rediscovering this off-shoot thread, i'm bumping it in the hope that there might be some renewed interest in this area & perhaps some more hot tips.
Re-reading has already inspired me to dig out Nurt again. Damn, those fellas could play! Thanks again to doomedplanet for that recommendation.
Since my original post about the Yugoslavian band Nirvana i've discovered that they released 3 more songs, all prior to the 1975 'Duh' 45. Two on the 'Pop Festival Ljubljana 72' live compilation LP and another live track on the 'Boom Pop Fest '73' comp LP.
However the bad news is that none of these earlier songs are up to the standard of the 45, with the 2 songs on the 72 comp being particularly disappointing as they had a way-too-loud & far-too-busy saxophonist in the group at that time & the songs (sung in English despite their Yugoslavian titles), are more basic & 'boogie' in nature.
1973's 'Klik Tema Broj' is far better, with the sax player having been jettisoned from the band by this point and the music far more resembling the '75 single. However, they collaborate on this song with a female vocalist called Zdenka Kovacicek, who has an admittedly incredible vocal range but she seems determined to show it off at every possible opportunity which becomes tiresome pretty quickly.
You know that crazy high note that Minnie Riperton hits in that sappy 70's soul ballad 'Loving You'?
Well Zdenka repeatedly hits that type of frequency early on & several others known to cause seizures in household pets.
The law of diminishing returns quickly comes into play & after the 3rd or 4th stratosphere scraping high vocal section, her ability rapidly becomes less & less impressive & more like some fiendish apparatus of sonic torture. Then there's the lengthy breakdown section complete with drum solo to contend with... :roll:
Ah well, you can't win 'em all.
For those few who liked the '75 45, here's a video of a (briefly?) reformed Nirvana on Croatian TV in 2006 playing the flipside of that record, with their impressive musical chops perfectly preserved despite the passage of time.

Nirvana - Kome Da Kažem (Live 2006)

[youtube]d1zkj94GBsg[/youtube]