TALES OF MEDUSA and their wicked ways..

New bands, new releases, new metallic events, reissues, post-millenia-Metal in general...
Stormspell

TALES OF MEDUSA - An Achaean Invocation Tape

Post by Stormspell »

Here it is. Anyone else got their copies yet? Mine is 17/50

I bet 5 bucks it's Pat who got 1/50 again! :twisted:

Black Axe

Post by Black Axe »

Didn't even know it existed...
nabel

Post by nabel »

I got the LP back then but I doubt that I will get this... Time will tell!
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

I wish i could get all 50 copies and destroy them instantly...i fuckin' hate the attitude of this band...
Good against Evil, Evil sure to win

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
daniel

Post by daniel »

Agree. They have an idiotic attitude, not honest at all.

And if it isn't about creating a cult image then how come no one uploads the tapes and LP.
Are you the tyrant, who cast them to the sea?
One day you'll be among the dead.
Helm

Post by Helm »

ION BRITTON: is the attitude that they put out a 50 cassette demo? I know nothing about this band. Illuminate!
Shadow Kingdom

Post by Shadow Kingdom »

daniel wrote:Agree. They have an idiotic attitude, not honest at all.

And if it isn't about creating a cult image then how come no one uploads the tapes and LP.
I for one am GLAD no one uploads their music! I'm surprised it hasn't happened to be honest! All that will do is get it into the wrong hands and before you know Dealers will be selling "Japanese Imports" of TALES OF MEDUSA.

If anyone wants to hear it that bad, I'm sure someone would be glad to share it with you PRIVATELY....
DaN
Administructor

Post by DaN »

Helm wrote:ION BRITTON: is the attitude that they put out a 50 cassette demo? I know nothing about this band. Illuminate!
Me too. I mean I've heard the name but never heard them. So they're total poser crap bastards or what's the deal here? Worth hearing at least?
humus

Post by humus »

They don't sell their releases, they just send them out for free. They have an LP out limited to 100 copies all of which they send out for free. And yes, it's worth hearing.
Helm

Post by Helm »

And why is that wrong? It's similar to what I do with my band.
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

DaN wrote:
Helm wrote:ION BRITTON: is the attitude that they put out a 50 cassette demo? I know nothing about this band. Illuminate!
Me too. I mean I've heard the name but never heard them. So they're total poser crap bastards or what's the deal here? Worth hearing at least?
They are a band which doesn't feel appropriate of selling their music, so they finance their own releases and send them to people for free. They can make only so much copies (given that their releases are factory made decent stuff with extras) so they cannot supply everyone.

Maybe they are creating a hype and they will pay for it coz with the prices I've seen the vinyl going on eGay it is only matter of time before the bootleggers put their hands on it and make "Japanese Imports via Greece"... but then again, it is their own music and their own decision how to handle it, so I can only respect them for that.

An the music is definitely worth checking out.
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

It hasn't got to do with the kind of music they play. It has to do with the number of copies printed each time they release something and their distribution mentality generally. What do they expect to achieve with 50 copies? It's an elitism i cannot understand. If they want people to simply hear their music they can press 1000 or 2000 copies or even upload some mp3s saving themselves from the trouble of releasing something in LP/cassette format. With 50 copies you don't want your music to be heard, that's pretty clear for me. 50 copies will probably go to the band's friends and to the very few "lucky" ones that will contact them first. I can assure you there are far more than 50 people worldwide who are interested in bands like ToM and that kind of music. If ToM don't know that, maybe somebody should tell them about it.
As for the other issue...there are dozens of other private releases from every corner of the world that are pressed in microquantities, i didn't see every single one of them being bootleged when some mp3s appear, some of them have been, some others not, it's not something you can always be sure that will happen.
They don't sell their releases, they just send them out for free.
I personally don't feel like getting the work of a band for free. It simply doesn't feel right for me. The least i can do is send them some money in return of all their hard work and the time and money they invested for their release. That's how the word "support" gets a meaning for me. Of course it's not the only way of support one can give to a band, but imo it's the the most important one.
Last edited by ION BRITTON on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

"It really didn't matter if they liked it or not, i was going to give it to them straight down their throats" -John Stewart
ION BRITTON

Post by ION BRITTON »

stormspell wrote:it is their own music and their own decision how to handle it
Of course they do. They shouldn't expect much with the way they act though and also they should be aware of the fact that not everybody will run after them for a copy of their soon-to-be-rare-and-cult album regardless of its musical value (which is a matter of taste after all)

Helm

Post by Helm »

The reason I personally don't sell or print large quantities of my music is because I don't want a large and faceless audience, I want human communication, if at all possible face-to-face as well. I'd rather have 10 real people (as in people I've met and gotten to know personally) appreciate what I do than 1,000 faceless theoretical fans. I can understand therefore why another band would not want to see their music as a product. Not to put anything in ToM's mouth of course, just giving an alternate viewpoint.

So ION BRITTON, try to see it like that. It might not just be elitism. Music has gotten so easy to get into, no personal stake and therefore no humanity. I don't think money or no money is so much the issue even. It's consumerism. Would I want my music on someone's hard drive (or even my 7'' on their record collection, no difference to me) if they listened to it half a time and said they liked it and that's it? Isn't Heavy Metal supposed to do a bit more than that? That people are exploring ways to get around this issue is good I'd say :D
Stormspell

Post by Stormspell »

ION BRITTON wrote:They shouldn't expect much with the way they act though and also they should be aware of the fact that not everybody will run after them for a copy of their soon-to-be-rare-and-cult album regardless of its musical value (which is a matter of taste after all)
I don't think they expect or are there to achieve anything. They look to me like people who just play music for fun and enjoy giving for free their own releases. Of course I may be totally wrong, who knows...